Thursday, September 16, 2010

Let's get this party started!

This spring/summer/and now into fall I've decided that I need to get back into shape. Now, I can't use the "round is a shape" argument because I've never been round really - unless you count when I was 9 months pregnant. But - I've been on a mission to abolish flab and create tone and definition.

I started with the 30-Day Shred. I loved that video series. It works well. By the end of it, I saw stomach muscles I hadn't seen in well over a year. And when doing jumping jacks and things my butt no longer felt like it was going to bounce or fall out of my shorts. Lovely mental picture, I know, but you get the point. My only complaint - I got bored with it soon after doing 8-10 days of each phase.

Next, I moved to P90X. DH and some friends were doing it, so I thought why not. I chose to do the lean program simply because I didn't want to end up looking like the Incredible Hulk-woman. The program is HARD - but then, it's supposed to be. It's amazingly effective too. The downside? Each workout is 1-1.5 hours long. Not bad if you have the time, but when you are trying to split your work time with your exercise time while baby is napping/sleeping - it gets a little rough. And ab workouts with a wee one crawling over you just don't seem to have the same effect. I would highly recommend the program to anyone who is wanting to see amazing, fairly fast results.


After that, I moved to the 10-Minute Trainer (another Beachbody routine). I liked that one. It was very similar to the 30-Day Shred though in format and I soon got bored with it.

Fast forward a month and we're on to my next exercise program. This time I went with another Beachbody program - Turbo Jam. When trying to find a new program, I was looking for a shorter length of time while still feeling like I'm pushing myself. So what did I go with? A dance based cardio program. Sounds easy enough, right?

Ha! It might be if this girl had coordination or at the very least a sense of rhythm. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but it's definitely not something I'm executing with finesse that's for sure! The best part? When you're doing the moves you don't really think about all the muscles you are using. As a matter of fact, you don't even think about it when you are done. But then, you realize when trying to crawl off the floor or out of bed several hours later you hurt in places you don't even remember using! Not a bad hurt, but a stiff, yep, sure used that muscle kind of hurt. I don't even think I felt like this when doing P90X!

Maybe by the end of the program I'll be able to "bust a move" and not look like a flapping chicken. But hey, I'm having fun doing it and that's what matters!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh...thanks for reminding me how fat I'm getting and not having the desire to do anything about it. Oh well...I can still fit into the same clothes I did last winter so I'm not complaining. =)

    ReplyDelete